To be considered eligible for a CBYX scholarship, you must be:
Please see below to read additional eligibility criteria from the U.S. Department of State.
Previous German language study is not a requirement and all levels of language ability are encouraged to apply. Only those students who meet the basic eligibility requirements will be considered. Applicants from all racial, economic, ethnic, religious, and social backgrounds are encouraged to apply, as are students with disabilities.
Applications are evaluated based upon:
Fall: Application becomes available online
December: Applications are due
January – April: Selection processes
March – May: Selection announcements
April/May – International Departure: Pre-departure preparation
July – September: Group international departure for Germany
June – July (Year Following): Group international return from Germany and program conclusion activities
Dates may vary based on regional organization.
Eligibility: The Youth Programs Division of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) seeks to make youth exchange programs funded by ECA available to a wide and diverse American audience. ECA also seeks to prevent conflict of interest issues from arising with regard to Department of State employees and federal award recipients who are involved in particular scholarships and exchange programs.
This eligibility policy is in addition to any program-specific requirements and applies only to U.S. participants in the following programs sponsored (funded) by the Youth Programs Division, and only for programs that include travel outside of the United States:
• Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES Abroad)
• National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)
• Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX)
• American Youth Leadership Program (AYLP)
• Youth Leadership Program (participants who traveled overseas only)
• Youth Ambassadors Program
Participation in Multiple Programs: Participation in more than one of the above-listed Youth Programs Division-sponsored exchange programs is permitted only in the following circumstances:
• The programs do not take place in the same calendar year.
• The first program in which the individual participated was a short-duration program of eight (8) weeks or less AND the second program is a semester or academic year program.
• Alumni of the semester and academic year programs are NOT eligible to apply for any of the programs listed above.
• Under no circumstances may an individual participate in more than two of the above-listed programs.
Family members of Department of State employees: Family members of employees of the Department of State whose official duties involve an ECA Youth Programs Division exchange program would be precluded from applying for that program. This is because there would be a conflict of interest or the appearance thereof if employees engage in official matters that affect the interests of their family members. In circumstances where a family member other than a spouse or dependent child wants to participate in a program in which the employee has official duties, the appropriateness of the employee engaging in such matters should be discussed with a Department of State Ethics attorney.
Family members of affiliated private sector employees: Family members of employees of ECA-funded implementers of grant programs and Department of State contractors whose official duties involve a particular ECA-funded youth exchange program are technically ineligible for that program. Family members include spouse and dependent children.